- Frodo, Lucky, Whiskey, and Sambuca were featured on the LAPS segment of The Animal Show, episode #137 from December 20. In the video, Frodo can be seen at 1:14, Lucky at 2:40, Whiskey and Sambuca at 3:54.
Star Wars Litter
LAPS staff and volunteers have been very good about posting the videos of the various visits with Queen Amidala and the kittens to their Livestream page, so if you miss any visit, you can go to http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/starwars to watch them. (Note: It’s not always easy to tell what day a video is from — Livestream uses relative time, i.e. “xx days ago”, for posts and Zulu Time, which is currently eight hours ahead of PST, for comments — but they are in reverse chronological order on the page.)
- Weight chart
- Today’s visits/videos on Livestream (in chronological order, titles from actual posts):
- Lneya also had a short Periscope session with the kittens before she closed up for the day. (It overlaps with the tail end of the name announcement Livestream video linked to above.) Today was the first day for the kittens trying out kitten gruel (aka wet kitten food with formula) — some of the kittens dove right in, others not so much.
Christmas Decoration Kittens
Alicia tries to broadcast a Periscope with the kittens every night at around 20:00 PST. Because Periscope videos are only viewable on/in Periscope for 24 hours, I record the videos and upload them to YouTube.
- Alicia had her nightly Periscope session with the kittens tonight. The kittens are (obviously) back with her after their visit to Dr. Corfield at Yorkson Creek Veterinary Hospital. (Interesting sidebar: Dr. Corfield adopted Violet and Sage from Rose’s litter.)
- The kittens have the Feline coronavirus (FCoV). It generally doesn’t cause an issue for most cat/kittens that get it (most don’t even get tested), though it can sometimes mutate into a form that causes feline infectious peritonitis or FIP, which is what Jaguar and Siberia of the Jungle Kittens died from. For now, there’s no worry as the kittens are eating well, gaining weight, and very active; it’s just something to keep an eye out for. They don’t need meds — they will clear the virus from their systems on their own and any symptoms would be treated as they come up. Alicia mentioned that once the kittens are adopted, she’ll be doing a major clean of the kitten room and then taking a break before fostering again in order to make sure that the virus isn’t lingering.
- Glimmer weighs 800 grams (up from 769), Star weighs 579 grams (up from 558), Ribbon weighs 722 grams (up from 691), Tinsel weighs 875 grams (up from 848) and Bow weighs 935 grams (up from 924).
“Toast to the Holidays” Litter
- This mama and her three kittens, who came in from another shelter along with the Star Wars litter on December 11 and who have been in Dawn’s foster care, have finally gotten their official names. Mama is Campari and the kittens are Advocaat (mostly black kitten), Kahlua (tortie), and Baileys (tortie with half-orange face). Dawn occasionally broadcasts with them (usually without sound) on Livestream at http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/Dawn.
- Shelly posted a cute video of Cassidy with Barty.
- Cassidy went with Shelly to Mountain View today for their weekly conference call with Dr. Ferguson and Dr. Marcellin-Little. There, they ran across Topper and his humans — Topper finally went in for his neuter surgery, which had been postponed because one of his testicles was playing hide-and-seek. (Turns out that wayward testicle was up in his abdoment and never would have descended on its own.) While doing the surgery, they discovered that he has a nasty two-inch scar on his abdomen from an injury sustained before he and Cassidy came to TinyKittens HQ.
- Mary is still doing well. Alicia had a short Periscope with her. (Kimsies took some videos and pictures with her good camera — because there are so many videos and pictures from her various visits, it was easier to put them all in a section of their own near the bottom of this page.)
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
- Shelly was on feeding station duty today. She teased us with a story during her late night visit with Comet and the others: She trapped a wild animal (whose species/ID she can’t reveal for reasons she can’t share right now) that had been looking to be settling in under one of the cat houses and posed a danger to the cats. That wild animal then got loose in her van. Don’t know how she eventually got the animal under control (it was ultimately relocated safely and successfully), but she was apparently amusing Kimsies via text during the ordeal. Her laptop was in the van with the critter in question and now it smells enticing to the cats at TKHQ.
- Shelly saw Sisko and Mila at the feeding station today. She took video, which she played on Livestream during her late night visit with Comet and Co. and which she says she’ll upload.
Holly, Comet, Mistletoe, and Joy
- Shelly visited with the big kittens at around 10:00. She brought a new cardboard scratcher/house (assembled from flat-pack on cam) and had some cuddles with everyone. She talked about meeting up with Topper and his family at Mountain View (see Topper section above).
- Kimsies visited at around 11:45. She got her first lap time with Mistletoe, and got some cuddle time with everyone. She also took some pictures of everyone with her good camera.
- Alicia visited in the late afternoon. She did upside-down hover kitten with Mistletoe and Comet. Got some good pets with Joy on the cat tree. Played with Mistletoe in the new cardboard house. Everyone is still a little skittish when someone comes in or makes a sudden noise or movement, but they’re doing really well.
- Shelly visited late at night. She gave us some good closeups of Joy and Holly together as well as of Mistletoe and her paw. She also shared her feral colony video of Sisko, Mila, and others, and told her wild animal story. (See feral colony section above.)
- An earthquake occurred off the Saanich/Sidney coast of Vancouver Island at around 11:39 p.m., after Shelly left to go downstairs. The effects were very slightly visible on the cams in this room, where you can see some of the kittens (Holly and Comet primarily) react just before and while it happens (they were a little extra alert for a few minutes before it as well), you can hear the house creaking, and you can see the tree nest cam shake a bit in the picture-in-picture.
Ringworm Romper Room with Jingle, Elf, Nicholas, and Noelle
Note: Jingle, Elf, and Nicholas, and Noelle are currently only viewable on the TinyKittens VIP cam, which you can access for a monthly or annual fee. (Think of it as a way to donate to TinyKittens monthly, with a pledging award of the VIP cam feed.)
- Shelly did a food drop in the morning. (She didn’t stop to visit.)
- Kimsies came by around lunch time to visit. She brought food, tidied the place up a bit, scooped some litter, and played with the kittens.
- Gwen dropped in to drop off treats (that really didn’t go over well) and toys (presumably from the Earth Options stash, as she was going through that all upstairs while Kimsies was visiting the other kittens/cats). She also gave everyone their meds. And she later tossed in a new crinkle tunnel, which was promptly flattened.
- Alicia visited in the late afternoon. It was a short-ish visit, but she played and got to do upside-down hover kitten with all four kittens.
- Shelly did a late night drive-by food dropoff that just happened to occur at the precise time the earthquake was occurring off Vancouver Island. It didn’t seem noticeable at all down there (no movement, no kittens alerted) and Shelly didn’t remark on it so presumably it really couldn’t be felt down there.
Kimsies’ videos and pictures from TKHQ
Kimsies uploaded a number of her photos to an album on Facebook. She also uploaded the following videos and photos.
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Shellys morning visit with Comet & Co
Tiny Kittens Alicia’s visit with Comet & Co
Tiny Kittens Shellys late night visit with Comet & Co
[Page last updated: 2015/12/31 at 06:28 PST]