The cams and Livestream feeds
Today there are four live streaming webcams at TKHQ:
- The Starling, feral and pregnant stream: This stream shows Starling in the white room.
- The Amelia, Wilbur and Orville: The Hayloft Flyers! stream: This stream shows the Hayloft Flyer kittens (and their roommates du jour) in the purple room.
- The TinyKittens VIP cam stream: When there are only two (or fewer) rooms of cats/kittens, this stream is usually showing an alternate view of one of the rooms. Other times, it may show the only view of a completely different room. Wherever it’s pointing at any given moment, this special stream/feed is only accessible for a monthly or annual fee. (Consider it a way to donate to TinyKittens monthly, with the VIP cam feed as a perk.) Today this stream showed the Metric Kittens in the office en-suite bathroom.
- Nano’s Feral Fix-a-thon stream: This streamed the trapping and intakes today and will stream the activities at Mountain View tomorrow.
Nano’s Feral Fix-A-Thon: Day 1
Trapping and transporting
[You can also view the trapping video on Livestream: part 1, part 2, part 3.]
Trapping started quickly as several cats just walked easily into the traps. (Lorie joked later about how different that was to the hours they would spend out in the original M1 (Happy Forest) colony trying to trap cats.)
Kimsies and Shelly were manning the traps. Lorie N. and her husband shuttled the first six trapped cats back to TKHQ.
- 11:21 Rupert, black, male [later turned out to be a black female they temporarily named Rowan…who much later was discovered to be Mama Rose from the Happy Forest colony]
- 11:28 Raina, black, female
- 11:32 Orion, tabby, male
- 11:35 Radley, black, female
- 11:37 Flynn, ginger, male
- 11:43 Mack, tabby, male
(Lorie and her husband took these six back to TKHQ.)
- 11:47 Oliver, tabby male
- 11:49 Beatrix, calico, female
- 12:00 Chanel, tortie, female
- One of Chanel’s kittens, black
- Shelly also got word just after noon that Gwen had managed to trap Calvin at the Happy Forest. Calvin has a bad eye and they’ve been trying to trap him for awhile to get that seen to. (In order to include him in the fix-a-thon stats, Shelly created a second page for him at http://www.tinykittens.com/cats/256, in addition to his original Happy Forest/M2 colony page at http://www.tinykittens.com/cats/189.)
- 12:04 Enzo, tuxie, male
(Someone else — I didn’t recognize who — transported the four traps/crates containing Oliver, Beatrix, Chanel and baby, and Enzo back to TKHQ. Gwen took Calvin to TKHQ herself from the Happy Forest.)
- 12:11 Darcy, tuxie, female
- 12:24 Fiona, ginger, female with missing eye
- 12:28 Ada, torbie, female
(At this point, Shelly and Kimsies were waiting for more traps to be brought back and transporters to return before really jumping back into trapping.)
- Before 13:00 Mason, tabby, male
- Before 13:00 Mercer, tabby, ??
(At this point, they were still waiting for transporters/traps to return and decided to do some drop-trapping while they waited. The rain was getting audibly worse by then.)
- 13:17 Arya, calico, female (caught in drop trap)
- 13:28 Ember, tuxie, female (caught in drop trap)
- 13:50 Farley, previously uncatalogued ginger, male (caught in drop trap)
(More traps arrive.)
- ?? Malta, tabby
- Pre-14:33, Max, tabby, male
- Pre-14:33, Adele, tabby, female
- 14:54, Marlin, silver tabby, male
- 14:54, Nate, tabby, male (possible baby daddy of Petra and Elvis)
(They had space for 25 cats to be spayed or neutered. Since one of the ones trapped was still a young kitten — too young and unhealthy for spay/neuter — Gwen returned to the colony in the late afternoon/evening and trapped the following two additional cats, adult Maris and floofy youngster Morgan.)
Intakes back at TKHQ
[You can also view the intakes on Livestream.]
The intake process started at around 17:46 with a factory line assembling of litter pans, Advantage, and other items needed for the intakes. Primary goals were to confirm sex of the cats and identify any health issues that would make any of the cats a priority tomorrow, but attempts were also made (where possible) to apply Advantage Multi and clean ears. Shelly and Kimsies started off the intakes, with Gwen joining later when she came back from the colony with Maris and Morgan.
Highlights of the intakes:
- Morgan got free from Gwen and ping-ponged around the room with remarkable agility until they caught her again. There was bloodshed: Shelly was bitten and Gwen was scratched by Morgan in her bid for freedom.
- Several cats protested the intake process (either by being quite aggressive or by not relinquishing their hold on their cage).
- Beatrix and Oliver have the sweetest, most heartbreaking meows ever heard.
- Injured cats who will be prioritized include Mason (bad wound on front leg), Fiona (eye missing), Calvin (from original colony; eye infections), Radley (bad ear infection), and Max (eye ulcer). Shelly posted a picture of Mason’s infected foot.
- Even when they’re doing difficult tasks, Shelly, Kimsies, and Gwen (the whole TinyKittens team, in fact) are pretty entertaining to watch. The intakes videos above in particular are a whole lot of fun to watch.
End of day stats/summary
Shelly updated the fix-a-thon page as cats were trapped during the day at the colony. The stats bar on the site looked like the image below by the end of the day. (27 cats/kittens were trapped in total, 26 headed for spays/neuters tomorrow and 1 headed to the join the other temporary residents at TKHQ.)
Shelly made a great summary post to Facebook late in the evening:
Starling and her kittens
- Suzanne visited briefly in the morning. I believe that was the only visitor they had all day (and I’m sure Starling was OK with that).
The F1 Colony Kitten Brigade
Otherwise known as the Hayloft Flyer kittens (Amelia, Wilbur, and Orville), the Metric kittens (Nano Wolverine the Late, Zepto, Pico, Kilo, Gram, and their mama Zetta), and the extremely sweet Faith and Hope. I have them combined into one section because the presence of ringworm, viruses, and other Bad Things means that they are frequently combined together in the same room.
- Suzanne visited in the morning.
- Gwen visited in the afternoon
- Shelly popped in with the CBC guy in the late afternoon.
- Shelly popped in to check on Hope after Suzanne expressed some concerns.
- Shelly and Gwen stopped in after the intakes downstairs to give ringworm meds to everyone, pain meds to Faith and Hope, eye ointment for those who needed it, antibiotics to Hope, and sub Q fluids to Hope (which went a lot better with two people doing it than when Shelly and Gwen both tried to do it on their own previously). They also syringe-fed Hope.
- Welcome to the Ringworm Romper Room, Charity! Chanel’s little black kitten (now named Charity) was brought in to the purple room with the Hayloft Flyers and Darcy’s kittens Faith and Hope since she has ringworm and is too young for spay/neuter. She’s a fair bit smaller than they are, but still big enough to get scampy. She’s incredibly cute.
- The Metrics are still enjoying their time in the ensuite bathroom off Shelly’s office. Zetta has access to the whole office, but comes in to snack and open up the milkbar periodically. Their first ringworm PCR test came back negative. They’ll be retested two weeks after the first test and will be deemed officially ringworm-free if that second test is also negative.
The cams and Livestream feeds
LAPS is currently having some technical issues with their computer and their Internet/WiFi and so they’re generally unable to broadcast a full-time live stream at this time. Their current intermittent streams are:
- A Day in the Life At LAPS: This is the main general event for LAPS. It’s the stream where intakes are usually streamed along with other shelter residents/rooms.
Whimsy and her Wonderland Kittens
- Alicia had her nightly Periscope with Whimsy and the kittens.
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Fixathon First feral trapped
Tiny Kittens Fixathon More and more trapped
Tiny Kittens Fixathon 11ish trapped so far
Tiny Kittens Fixathon 13ish trapped
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Shelly update & trapped Darcy F&H mom
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Shelly Starfish explanation LOL
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Got a trap shy one yay
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Got 2 in trap
Tiny Kittens Suzanne’s visit w Starling & kittens
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Got 25 will try for 26
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Sat TKHQ intake setup & first two
Tiny Kittens Fixathon more intakes including Darcy & a kitty got loose
Tiny Kittens Fixathon Finishing off intakes
Tiny Kittens Shellys late night visit w flyers & F&H
[Page last updated: 2017-02-05 at 02:00 PST]