Feral Colony Cats
- Her Name is Rio…
Kimsies brought in a new guest to keep Eaton company while Tellar has a sleepover at Foster Mom Jules’ for a couple of days.
- Kimsies had trapped her on Monday, but she escaped. She was last at LAPS when she was in for her spay many moons ago. Kimsies helped Kayla do Rio’s intake. Rio weighs 3.86 kg. They saw nothing suspicious under black light and she has no lesions so she appears to be ringworm-free.
- She’s very sweet and friendly, and she seems very attached to Tellar. (She kept following him everywhere.) She actually crawled into Jules’ lap for cuddles when Jules was there to pick up Tellar.
- Her intake video is available on the Day in the Life at LAPS Livestream page. That also includes Jules’ visit with them when she came to take Tellar home.I’ve uploaded both to YouTube (as separate videos) and have embedded them below:
|| Rio’s Intake
|| Jules’ visit with Rio, Tellar, and Eaton
- LAPS also posted a cute video of Rio with Tellar.
- Kayla says that Eaton and Tellar talk to the big fan in the wall. (Tellar actually did it while the cam was on him.)
- Kayla cleaned Eaton’s ears. He’s looking quite portly. (He always makes me think of Bustopher Jones.)
- Tellar went home with Foster Mom Jules for awhile so that he can get used to being in a home environment — he was quite stressed out by being at the shelter.
- During Rio’s intake, Kayla gave an update on Toffee. He’s become a resident at Kayla’s. He’s taken to her cats. He’s sweet, playful, and rambunctious, but his kidney’s aren’t functioning properly. Kayla has be his kidneys by giving him daily subQ fluids. He goes back to Mountain View for a checkup on Wednesday. His prognosis isn’t good, but she’s determined to make sure he’s loved and cared for for as long as he has.
Star Wars Litter
LAPS staff and volunteers have been very good about posting the videos of the various visits with Queen Amidala and the kittens to their Livestream page, so if you miss any visit, you can go to http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/starwars to watch them. (Note: It’s not always easy to tell what day a video is from — Livestream uses relative time, i.e. “xx days ago”, for posts and Zulu Time, which is currently eight hours ahead of PST, for comments — but they are in reverse chronological order on the page.)
- Weight chart
- Today’s visits/videos on Livestream (in chronological order, titles from actual posts):
Note: The cam was switched to the feral room with Eaton and Tellar when Rio was brought in so there are no other videos since the weigh-in with Ana.
General Nosey Notes
- Meghan (of Anders and Joel the Handyman fame) is doing great — she’s due in a couple of weeks. 🙂
- Shelly has been continuing to try to get Cassidy to follow the toothbrush, but he’s still not voluntarily flexing his knees. She’s going to try more frequent sessions.
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
The TinyKittens VIP cam gets swapped around periodically. The feed (wherever it’s pointing at any given moment) can be accessed for a monthly or annual fee. (Consider it a way to donate to TinyKittens monthly, with the VIP cam feed as a perk.)
Feral Recovery Ward
- The Visits:
- Suzanne visited. She swept, cleaned the litter, put out more food and water. Lots of pets and purrs. Satine seems to really like Suzanne, letting Suzanne hand feed her on the shelf bed. She tried to feed Tiger, but he’s a kibble man. He’s very sneezy. (He was very cute, reaching continually to touch Suzanne’s free hand.) Enara stayed in her safe crate.
- Kimsies visited after she helped with Rio’s intake at LAPS. No bunny suit or booties. She cuddled Tiger. He’s really snarfly and breathing through his mouth, but he ate some Temptations. She talked to him about picking up “his friend”, that “she” was already at LAPS and out and around.
- Shelly visited late in the evening.
Formerly-Feral Mega Romper Room
- The Visits:
- Shelly visited in the morning, a flying visit to drop off more food and adjust the cam.
- Suzanne visited later in the morning. She brought in more food and played with the kittens.
- Kimsies visited to get a little Comet cuddling (since she missed out yesterday due to his catio capers) before heading out to the feeding station at the feral colony. There was a furtive mention to Suzanne of intentions to trap another cat…who turned out to be Rio. 🙂 She also confirmed that the trap divider is being used to block off lower access to the catio, essentially turning the extension into a window catio.
- Shelly popped in to pick up Joy to take her to get her rabies vaccine and health certificate so she could cross the border tomorrow to her new home in Washington state.
- Shelly stopped in again briefly to bring Joy back from the vet and to give some updates. Nicky is due to go home on Monday.
- Shelly came back in the evening for a long visit and update.
- Joy is scheduled to go to Washington tomorrow at 2PM; Nicky is due to go to his new home locally Monday at 2PM; Jingle is due to go to his new Oregon home on February 6; and Comet and Mistletoe are due to head to their new home after that. Noelle and Elf will be heading to Chicago at a later date.
- John at Beautiful World Living Environments (who put in the catios at TKHQ) has been getting drive-by 1-star reviews on his Facebook page — Shelly unleashed the chatters to leave him positive reviews, which they did and his overall rating is now much more realistic.
- Nicky seems to be feeling better and his dermatitis is looking better. He did not have any crystals nor did anything come up in the culture so it must just be an inflammation thing. It’ll probably take 10 days or so for it to clear.
- Jingle and Nick are going to Mountain View on Monday for their vaccines and for Jingle to get his rabies vaccine since he’s going to the US. Jingle will have a Facebook page; we’ll meet his new friend there.
- Joy’s ear and spay look good. Shelly still has to get all her medical records and whatnot together for tomorrow. Suitcase packing will be tomorrow.
- Jingle is missing an incisor. (Shelly joked that he needed braces.)
- A suggestion was made that Shelly move the VIP to Noelle and Elf’s room, but Shelly needs to do some setup first. She’ll try but can’t promise anything. (She’s very busy this weekend with presentations her husband is giving for his new proposed building project.) NoElf’s next test is on Monday.
- This month was the biggest vet bill eer — PCRs, ultrasounds, surgeries, ringworm meds and supplies, x-rays, etc.
- Someone asked about TKHQ teaming up with the Catfe in Vancouver — the Catfe has an exclusive partnership agreement with BCSPCA and so cats would have to be transferred to BCSPCA in order to be included at the Catfe. (I can’t find the article link right now but when the Catfe first ran out of cats because the ones they had were adopted so quickly, owner Michelle Furbacher had written — in response to suggestions that they partner with VOKRA to get more cats — that the reason BCSPCA was chosen was because she wanted to partner with an organization that didn’t have a foster program in place, where the cats were kept in cages in the shelter and for whom having the run of a place like the cafe would be an improvement on their conditions. Organizations like VOKRA and LAPS have well-developed foster programs and life in the cafe would not be a step up.)
Kimsies’ videos and pictures at LAPS:
Kimsies’ videos and pictures at TKHQ:
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Suzanne visits Jingle & Co
Tiny Kittens Shellys visit with Jingle & Co and updates
[Page last updated: 2016/02/23 at 06:46 PST]