- Alicia had a Periscope session with Calla Lily and the kittens late in the afternoon.
- Early morning: Shelly made several visits to the basement apartment bathroom to check in on Cassidy and Topper, and to clean up. Both are getting more used to human contact, and Topper had several play sessions overnight. Cassidy is still having some poop issues (diarrhea and litter box usage issues) — in Shelly’s words “a serial poonado” — but it’s early days yet and he’s a real trouper. He used the litter once last night, which is promising. He’s a skinny little guy, though, well below weight for his presumed age and that is going to make it harder for him to support himself until he beefs up a bit.
There is also a Critter in the Cupboard in basement bathroom. ‘Nuf said.
- Late morning: It’s time for another “room” expansion for the Dreamworks and Mountain View litters. And the return of the castle.
- Noon: Kimsies arrived around noon to socialize Cassidy and Topper. After the poonados and six butt washes since yesterday, the nest was clean when they went in. Topper has gained, but Cassidy has lost a little weight. He’s also dragging his hind end today, where yesterday he was walking with it in the air (like Anakin the two-legged cat does), and he seems a lot more tired and sluggish. His temperature is fine, though.
- Cassidy (and Topper) will be going in to see Dr. Ferguson at Mountain View on Tuesday (tomorrow) at noon for x-rays, tests, and a full checkup.
- Late afternoon: Shelly visited with Tip and the kittens upstairs.
She also visited with Cassidy and Topper downstairs. She gave Cassidy 8ml of food with a syringe — he gobbled it up, but is very lethargic. He sleeps sitting up (all the better to be able to get moving fast if danger comes to the forest) and Shelly thinks as a result he doesn’t sleep well. She also gave him another butt bath and tried to stimulate his eliminations for him. His temperature is still normal. His breathing seems a little laboured to me (<– not a medical professional) and sounds a little funny.
At 18:17, she decided to take him in for a check at the emergency vet, rather than wait the 18 hours until the scheduled visit with Dr. F tomorrow. (She brought Topper with them for company.)
- 20:10: Shelly is back from the emergency vet. Cassidy has been admitted — he has an infection in both of his leg stumps and a full bladder, possibly some neurological issues related to it. He’s on IV antibiotics. They’d initially recommended euthanasia (they’re not used to people bringing in feral kittens and caring about their survival or advocating for them). He’s not in great condition, but we’ll have to see. They feel that his missing feet is congenital…and they confirmed that he’s a boy, though they couldn’t find testicles, either.
She brought Topper home with her, back to her house. (She’d asked if she could leave him there, but they didn’t think it would be helpful so he’s going to have a sleepover with her, potential ringworm be damned.) She will take Cassidy to Mountain View tomorrow as planned and decide what’s going on then.
- Late night update on Cassidy: They’d expressed his bladder for him and are monitoring. He ate on his own and the vet tech said he was happy and sleeping. He is FeLV/FIV negative. They’re going to run a blood panel. Shelly mentioned that that she’d noticed when she was bathing him earlier that his stumps were squishy, like they were full of fluid. She’s going to pick him up in the morning and take him directly to Mountain View.
- There have been some puking incidents from various kittens in the litters upstairs today.
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
- During her late night kitten/med check upstairs, Shelly mentioned that Torelius‘s neck lesion is showing signs of hair regrowth, which usually means it’s towards the end of the infection. (I believe you can see Kimsies checking that in the first of her videos below.) They’ll retest him.
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Shelly cuddles Cassidy more fudz and a critter scares her torwards the end
Tiny Kittens Shellys late late night poo clean up & snuggle with Cassidy
Tiny Kittens Shellys morning visit with Tip and kittens and vakoom
Tiny Kittens Shelly & Kimsies visit Cassidy & Topper (part 1)
Tiny Kittens Shelly & Kimsies visit Cassidy & Topper (part 2)
Tiny Kittens Shelly visits with Cassidy & Topper
Tiny Kittens Shelly updates about Cassidy being admitted to ER vet overnight for antibiotics
Tiny Kittens Shellys late afternoon visit with Tip and kittens some cleanup
Today’s Happy Forest videos from Kimsies:
[Page last updated: 2015/09/08 at 05:40 PDT]