[Note: This page is for cats/kittens related to the original Happy Forest feral colony, which is also sometimes known as the M1 or M2 feral colonies. If you’re looking for cats/kittens who came from Nano’s colony, head over to the Nano’s Farm feral colony graduates, guests, and losses page.]
As Neelix and Maravel were gearing up to head out to their new forever home in early August 2016, Shelly posted that they were the “15th and 16th ADULT Feral Furry Tail Endings” for the People for Happier Cats project. I decided I needed a list of said furry tail endings, which is how this page came to be.
Per Shelly’s post, seven of the 16 cats she was talking about were sick or injured, three were pregnant, and the rest just ready to hang out with humans after socialization at the feeding station. We don’t seem to reach the same number so, even after she clarified some of it on-cam, I’m not entirely sure how she’s counting (is she including cats/kittens who went to LAPS? cats/kittens from the other side of the property?), who she considers a (former) feral (e.g. several of the cats/kittens were extremely friendly from the start), and who falls into the “non-adult” category (under a year? under two years?).
As a result, I decided to split my lists up in a way that is guaranteed to be largely different from how Shelly is tracking them but should include all of the cats that Shelly is referring to (and then some):
- furry tail endings — a master list of all cats/kittens brought in from the feral colony or its surroundings who went on to find forever homes
- pending furry tail endings — cats/kittens brought in from the feral colony or its surroundings who (as far as I know) are still waiting to find their forever homes
- “sort of” furry tail endings — cats/kittens from the feral colony who were either re-homed as barn cats or who made their own happy place living outdoors with human companionship
- kittens born at TinyKittens HQ or LAPS to mothers from the feral colony or its surroundings
- temporary guests — cats/kittens who stayed at LAPS or TKHQ for a time while they recovered or while socialization was attempted with them but who subsequently returned to the forest
- RIPs — cats/kittens who passed away either at the colony or in the care of TinyKittens or LAPS
With the exception of the RIP list, these lists are in chronological order from date brought in to TKHQ or LAPS. (The RIP list is, as closely as I can get it, in chronological order by date of death.) The lists generally just contain very brief information and key dates for the cats/kittens — pages with more detailed information are under construction.
(Note: In the lists below, “at LAPS” means either at the shelter proper, in the care of a LAPS foster, or at a veterinary hospital while in LAPS care; “at TinyKittens HQ” or “at TKHQ” means either at the actual TinyKittens HQ house or at a veterinary hospital while in TK care.)
[Page last updated: October 20, 2017]
Furry Tail Endings
These are cats and kittens who were trapped at the colony or were taken in temporarily and/or socialized to some degree by neighbours of the property where the colony is and who subsequently went on to be adopted into forever homes.
- Doe — Arrived at LAPS in late March 2015, very pregnant; she had and raised her kittens and was adopted June 20, 2015.
- Game of Thrones litter — Arya, Brienne, Jon Snow, and Tyrion arrived at LAPS as orphaned one-week-old kittens from the feral colony on April 20, 2015; they were combined with three non-feral kittens into one bottle-fed litter. They were all adopted into forever homes, but I don’t have details.
- Fred and Ginger — Brought in from the colony as kittens on May 8, 2015. They had a long battle with ringworm. They were adopted together sometime between July 12 (when it was noted that an adoption planned for the previous week had fallen through) and September 7, when their new people posted an update on the LAPS Facebook page, but I don’t know the exact date.
- Eight (possibly nine) kittens were brought in to LAPS from the feral colony on May 12, 2015. Four of them — Marigold, Mirabella, Moto, and Rufus — tested positive for ringworm and were put in with Fred and Ginger. Rufus and Marigold were adopted on July 3, 2015. Moto and Mirabella were adopted sometime later. (I don’t know the details of the other kittens brought in — they are the “Orphan – WB – #” kittens in the cats list on tinykittens.com.)
- Ocean Litter — Ocean and her kittens Scuba, Coral, and Buoy were brought in to LAPS from the colony infected with ringworm on July 10, 2015. (Ocean was returned to the colony as she wasn’t cooperating with the ringworm treatment protocol.) Coral was adopted on September 25, 2015, and Buoy was adopted some time before that. Scuba was adopted on September 28, 2015.
- Forest — Arrived at LAPS on July 11, 2015; he was adopted around July 30, 2015.
- The Gorillaz Litter — These were Nori’s kittens Russell, 2D, Murdoc, and Noodle; they were brought in without Nori and arrived at LAPS on July 14, 2015. They were all adopted, but I don’t know the details.
- Lilypad — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on July 27, 2015, having just given birth to two kittens (Pollywog and Tadpole) who both died within 24 hours of birth (Pollywog shortly after birth at the colony and Tadpole at TKHQ); she was transferred to LAPS and then adopted on August 2, 2016.
- The Nut Litter — Pecan, Pistachio, Hazelnut, and Walnut were brought in to LAPS from the feral colony on August 4, 2015. They were all adopted in early October 2015, but I don’t have details.
- Calla Lily — Thought to be Lilypad’s sister (hence the “lily” name). Arrived at LAPS on August 6, 2015, very pregnant; she had and raised her kittens and was adopted on November 29, 2015.
- Sarin — Arrived at LAPS on August 12, 2015; adopted August 29, 2015.
- Cassidy — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on September 5, 2015 with his brother Topper; he was adopted in spirit by Shelly from the moment Shelly laid eyes on him, but it took her several months to admit it. 😉
- Topper — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on September 5, 2015 with his brother Cassidy; he was adopted October 7, 2015.
- Rolling Stones (and guest) Litter — Grace Slick, Mick, Keith, and Ronnie were trapped and taken to LAPS on October 8, 2015, about a week or so after their mother had likely been killed by a coyote. Ronnie and Grace Slick were adopted on November 13, 2015. Mick was adopted on November 19, 2015. Keith was adopted on November 27, 2015.
- Torelius (aka Mr. T) — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ with Pinecone on October 26, 2015; he was adopted together with Pinecone on November 26, 2015.
- Pinecone — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ with Mr. T on October 26, 2015; he was adopted together with Mr. T on November 26, 2015.
- Holly Belle — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ with Jingle Bell on November 29, 2015, she was adopted on January 20, 2016
- Jingle Bell — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ with Holly Belle on November 29, 2015; he was adopted on February 13, 2016.
- Nicholas — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on December 2, 2015; he was adopted on February 13, 2016.
- Noelle — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on December 2, 2015; she was adopted together with Elf on March 30, 2016.
- Elf — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on December 2, 2015; she was adopted together with Noelle on March 30, 2016.
- Comet — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on December 2, 2015; he was adopted together with Mistletoe on February 13, 2016.
- Mistletoe — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on December 8, 2015; she was adopted together with Comet on February 13, 2016.
- Joy — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on December 9, 2015; she was adopted January 30, 2016.
- Beetlejuice — Trapped on December 9, 2015 with Spice and brought to LAPS; he was adopted on February 4, 2016.
- Spice — Trapped on December 9, 2015 with Beetlejuice and brought to LAPS; she was adopted on February 6, 2016.
- Tellar — Arrived at LAPS on January 13, 2016; he was adopted on February 13, 2016.
- Enara — Trapped (for second time – first was for spay in 2015) on January 20, 2016, and brought to TinyKittens HQ; she was adopted on February 20, 2016.
- Tiger Buffy — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on January 27, 2016; he was adopted February 13, 2016.
- Rio — Trapped (for second time – first was for spay in 2015) on January 29, 2016, and brought to LAPS for socialization; she was adopted March 10, 2016.
- Kestrel — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on February 19, 2016; she was adopted March 18, 2016.
- Season and Shiver — Arrived at LAPS on February 24, 2016; after a failed first adoption, followed by some additional time at LAPS and TKHQ, they went to their final forever home in Winnipeg on August 12, 2016.
- Puddles — Arrived at LAPS on February 24, 2016; he was adopted fairly quickly, but I don’t have the details at the moment.
- Blossom — Arrived at LAPS on February 24, 2016; she was adopted on May 2, 2016.
- Sloane — Originally arrived at TinyKittens HQ on May 6, 2015, very pregnant; she had her kittens and raised them for four weeks before returning to the forest on June 11, 2015. After some time socializing with the TNR team on her own terms in the Happy Forest, she returned to TKHQ on May 13, 2016, and was adopted on June 5, 2016.
- Neelix — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on February 25, 2016, very pregnant; she had and raised her kittens and was adopted August 4, 2016, with Maravel.
- Skye — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on March 23, 2016, very pregnant; she had and raised her kittens and was adopted June 30, 2016.
- Maravel — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on May 13, 2016; he was adopted August 4, 2016, with Neelix.
- Jamie Fraser and Claire Fraser — Arrived at LAPS on May 28, 2016. I’m fairly certain they were adopted together but I can’t remember the date.
- Big Bang Theory Kittens — These six very sick and starving kittens — Alvin❤️, Penny, Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Raj — were brought in from the feral colony on June 23, 2016. (Alvin did not survive his illnesses.) They were in isolation for several months as a result of a number of the issues they had. Just as they were about ready for adoption in late September, they all came down with URIs and were back in isolation again being treated for that. Penny was adopted on December 6, 2016. All of the other surviving kittens were also adopted, but I don’t have details at the moment.
- Barclay — Arrived at TinyKittens HQ on August 8, 2016; he went to his forever home with Mr. T and Pinecone in California on August 12, 2016.
- Starling — Arrived at TKHQ on August 8, 2016. She gave birth to seven kittens (six surviving) on September 14/15, 2016. She was adopted (with Sparrow, one of her kittens) on December 6, 2016.
- Ramses — Initially trapped on January 13, 2016 along with Reggie, Henrietta, Caden, Satine, and Shiloh. He was neutered and then went back to LAPS for possible socialization. He didn’t handle being there very well and so was returned to the colony on January 15, 2016. He proved more social in his own element, handing out love and drool to the TNR team members. An adopter was found for him — he was brought in to spend some time in foster care with Gwen before heading to his new home on October 4, 2016.
- QuinnBunny – Quinn was trapped on February 18, 2017, during the February Feral Fix-a-thon. She’d already been spayed but needed to come in for a dental. During her dental surgery on February 19, 2017, it was determined that she has a lot of dental issues. Three of her teeth were removed and she’ll need regular dental care and likely full mouth extraction at some point in the near future. (Full mouth extraction would have been too long a procedure for the fix-a-thon.) They can’t return her to the Happy Forest with those kinds of issues so she, like Calvin, she was on the long track to socialization and a loving forever home. She went to her forever home with Macey on March 25, 2017.
- Macey – Macey is really good at following her biological mandate to continue the species. She’s been pregnant or nursing during pretty much every trapping session. Lately, she’s been getting more and more friendly at the feeding station and she was earmarked for trapping during the February Feral Fix-a-thon. They’d seen some ‘mating activity’ at the colony in the days leading up to the trapping day, but thankfully Macey was not yet pregnant. She was spayed on February 24, 2017, and hung out at TKHQ for a few weeks until she went to her forever home with QuinnBunny on March 25, 2017.
- Calvin — Calvin was trapped on October 15, 2016, and included with the F1 colony cats who were trapped and fixed as a part of the fix-a-thon weekend. One of his eyes was in bad shape and he had been on the TK hit list for a long time. (His eye was actually in the process of rupturing when they went in to remove the eye on October 16, 2016, so he was trapped just in time.) He wasn’t taking well to the socializing attempts and they were considering returning him to the colony when they found out he is diabetic. So Calvin was on the long socialization plan, whether he wanted to or not. Through insulin and a diet plan, his diabetes went into remission. He was adopted on April 21, 2017.
- Aussie (down under) kittens — Four feral kittens — two tabby and white boys and two very fierce ginger girls — were discovered in a barn (on the side of the property TK doesn’t have access to) by the Property Owner. Repairs to the barn they were in two week prior left them separated from their mama. They were in pretty good shape all things considered so they must have been able to find food. The PO trapped them late on May 28, 2017, and Gwen brought them to TKHQ for intake. They had URIs. All kittens were adopted.
Pending Furry Tail Endings
- Moustacio – Thought to be Macey’s brother. Was trapped at the feeding station on October 15, 2017. Emaciated (2.73 kg) and suffering from a bad mouth infection. Pre-surgery blood tests indicated that he may have kidney disease or diabetes. They are currently giving him pain meds, antiobiotics, and initial kidney treatment and will evaluate him for dental surgery again in ten days or so. (He may end up being a TNR but I will leave him in this category for now.)
Sort of Furry Tail Endings
- Felix and Sasha — Were trapped at the colony in March 2015 and re-homed successfully at a barn.
- Rose — Rose was trapped on July 23, 2015. She had her kittens at LAPS on July 31, 2015, and was in line to eventually get her own forever home until one of her kittens (Sage) tested positive for ringworm. Rose didn’t take well to the ringworm treatment protocol and was returned to the colony on September 23, 2015. The Property Owner later let Shelly know that some neighbours who had been familiar with Rose before her trapping were taking care of her. So while it wasn’t the furry tail ending initially envisioned for her, it seems to have been one for her.
- Update (October 2016): Rose was inadvertently trapped at the F1 colony during the fix-a-thon on October 15, 2016. (They didn’t start to suspect who she was until it was determined at the fix-a-thon on October 16 that this “new cat” that was trapped was already spayed. Back at TKHQ, her familiarity with doors and other trappings of human life made Shelly and chatters suspect her true identity, which was later confirmed by a check of her tattoo.)
- She was still not particularly amenable to being indoors with humans so she was released again, this time at the F1 colony where she’d been clearly hanging out. Rose would still tell you this was her happy ever after. (Interesting note: Her ear hadn’t been tipped when she was initially spayed because at the time they thought she’d be adoptable; and it wasn’t tipped this time around because they thought she might have been someone’s lost pet. So Rose is the only cat TNRed — twice! — at these colonies with an intact ear.)
- Stay #1: Tiberius stayed briefly at TKHQ while recovering from having a jar stuck on his head for several days. On April 27, 2016, he was returned to the colony property neighbours who’d been socializing him. He’s still an outdoor, freedom-loving cat but he seems to enjoy the company of his people there so this is definitely his idea of a furry tail ending.
- Stay #2: Tiberius is back at TinyKittens temporarily after he showed up at the feeding station with a limp. A visit to Mountain View showed it to be a soft tissue injury to one of his toes; he’s staying at TKHQ while receiving treatment, after which he will return to his happy ever after as a loved outdoor former feral with neighbours at the colony.
Kittens Born at TinyKittens HQ or LAPS to Mothers From the Colony
All surviving kittens from these litters were adopted into loving homes. Because they were all born and raised in the care of humans, these kittens wouldn’t technically be considered ferals…but they are products of the feral colony and thus the happily ever afters for the kittens who survived qualify for listing here.
- Shelby‘s six kittens Sherlock, Shia, Sheriff, Shayla, Sheridan, and Shelly were born at LAPS on April 16, 2015, and were all adopted.
- Hera‘s six kittens Harding, Harriet, Harris, Hayden, Henderson, and Humphrey were born at LAPS on April 17, 2015, and were all adopted.
- Echo‘s three kittens (a male black, female grey tabby, male grey tabby) were born at LAPS on April 18, 2015, and were all adopted. (Echo was returned to the colony very shortly after giving birth and her kittens were raised with Lil’ Kim’s kittens. I don’t know their names or litter theme.)
- Doe‘s five kittens were born early in the morning on April 19, 2015, and were all adopted. (I don’t know their names or even the litter theme)
- Rose‘s kittens Thorny, Anthos, Sage, and Violet were born July 31, 2015, at LAPS. (Rose was socializing quite well herself until one of the kittens tested positive for ringworm and the ringworm protocol had to be implemented. She didn’t take well to the treatments and so had to be returned to the forest. ) All of the kittens were adopted.
- Calla Lily gave birth to her kittens Captain, Galaxy, Treasure, and Picasso at LAPS (technically at foster mom Alicia’s and at the vet) on September 1, 2015, and were all adopted.
- Sloane‘s kittens Badger, Katydid, Cricket, and Junebug were born at TinyKittens HQ on May 11 and May 12, 2015; they were all adopted.
- Sisko‘s kittens Toothless❤️, Bambi, Owl, Walt, Thumper, Flower, Bluebelle, and Daisy were born at TinyKittens HQ on August 6, 2015, and were all adopted.
- Sable‘s kittens Bartholomew Mercury Geisel, Mayzie McGrew, Cindy Lou Mew❤️, and Trudie McFuzz were born at TinyKittens HQ on March 10, 2016, and were all adopted.
- Savina‘s kittens Brae, Fraser, Hudson, and Chas were born at TinyKittens HQ on April 11, 2016, and were all adopted.
- Neelix‘s kittens Elvis, Tessa, and Petra were born at TinyKittens HQ on April 12 and 13, 2016, and were all adopted.
- Skye‘s kittens Belfast, Kohler, Justin, and Farrah were born at TinyKittens HQ (well, technically at Mountain View Veterinary Hospital) on April 19, 2016, and were all adopted.
- Starling‘s kittens Sparrow, Egret, Puffin, Wren, Magpie, and Paloma were born on September 14, 2016. Her seventh kitten, Dove❤️, was stillborn in the early hours of September 15, 2016. Starling and all of her kittens were adopted into loving homes.
Temporary Guests of TinyKittens HQ or LAPS
These are cats/kittens who stayed at LAPS or TKHQ for a time while they recovered or while socialization was attempted with them but who subsequently returned to the forest. (This list does not include cats who just stayed overnight at LAPS while awaiting their spay/neuter surgeries with no attempts at socialization.)
- Shelby — Was trapped on April 1, 2015, and taken to LAPS. She gave birth to and nursed her kittens at LAPS and was returned to the colony sometime before June 10, 2015.
- Echo — Was trapped on April 8, 2015, and taken to LAPS. She gave birth to three kittens (a male black, female grey tabby, male grey tabby) there on April 18, 2015. Echo didn’t take well to being inside and so was spayed and returned to the colony on April 21, 2015. (Her kittens were put in with another litter.)
- Hera — Was trapped on April 8, 2015, and taken to LAPS. She was returned to the colony on May 21, 2015.
- Sisko — Was trapped on July 9, 2015, and brought to TKHQ. She had her kittens on August 6, 2015, and was returned to the colony on September 4, 2015.
- Ocean — Was brought into LAPS from the colony with her kittens on July 10, 2015; she didn’t cooperate well with the ringworm treatment protocol and was returned to the colony on July 30, 2015.
- Mila — Was trapped on July 20, 2015, and brought to TKHQ. She was returned to the colony on August 11, 2015.
- Henley — Starling’s sister and the first of the pair to be trapped and go into foster care with TinyKittens. She was about five months old when she was trapped on August 19, 2015, and went into foster care with Dawn (the kitten whisperer hooman of Panther, now known as Phoenix, of the Jungle Kittens) for socialization until she went for her spay surgery on August 25, 2015; there it was determined that she had ringworm and, since she was still quite feral and thus not likely to put up with the standard ringworm protocol, she was returned to the Happy Forest. She has only been seen rarely since, and not at all in a long time. [I think things might have been different if she’d come in a few months later. At the time Henley was in foster care, the standard practice would have been to send ringworm cases to LAPS for treatment, which Henley would not have dealt with well. A few months after Henley returned to the Happy Forest, TinyKittens was dropped into the ringworm deep end with Jingle Bell and the other “holiday” kittens, which brought about a change in how they dealt with ringworm-infected ferals — because a couple of the infected kittens were sick, injured, or a danger to themselves (*cough* Jingle *cough*), returning them to the forest was not an option TinyKittens entertained, nor was sending them to LAPS.]
- Nova — Was trapped on November 17, 2015. They thought she might be pregnant but a check at Mountain View on the 18th showed she wasn’t so she was spayed and then brought back to TKHQ for possible socialization. In the end, she returned to the colony on November 25, 2015.
- Reggie — Was trapped on January 13, 2016; brought to LAPS; he returned to colony on January 15, 2016,
- Henrietta — Was trapped on January 13, 2016; brought to LAPS; she returned to colony on January 24, 2016.
- Caden — Was trapped on January 13, 2016; brought to LAPS; he returned to colony on January 24, 2016.
- Shiloh — Was trapped on January 13, 2016; brought to TinyKittens HQ on January 15, 2016; she returned to colony on January 22, 2016.
- Satine — Was trapped on January 13, 2016; brought to TinyKittens HQ on January 15, 2016; she returned to colony on February 17, 2016.
- Pansy — Was trapped on January 20, 2016; brought to TinyKittens HQ on January 21, 2016; she returned to colony on January 27, 2016.
- Raven — Was trapped on January 20, 2016; brought to TinyKittens HQ on January 21, 2016; she returned to colony on January 27, 2016.
- Eaton — Was trapped on January 25, 2016; kept at LAPS or in foster care with Foster Mom Jules until February 21, 2016, when he returned to the colony.
- Eliann — Was trapped on February 24, 2016; brought to TKHQ on February 25 2016; she returned to colony on February 29, 2016.
- Savina — Was trapped on February 24, 2016. She was brought to TKHQ on February 24, 2016, had her babies on April 10, spent some time recovering from her spay and other health issues, and then was returned to the colony on May 25, 2016.
- Faerie — Was trapped on March 3, 2016; she was brought to TKHQ and later returned to colony on March 29, 2016.
- Sable — Was trapped on March 5, 2016, and brought to TKHQ. She had her kittens on March 10, 2016. She returned to the colony on April 22, 2016.
❤️ RIPs ❤️
- Nash — Hit by a car at the feral colony on May 6, 2015. Buried near feeding station.
- Lilypad’s kittens Pollywog and Tadpole — Pollywog died very shortly after birth, at the property where he’d been born. Tadpole came in to TinyKittens HQ with his mother Lilypad but despite intensive care from Shelly, he passed away on July 25, 2015
- Sisko’s kitten Toothless — Died within a day of birth, on August 7, 2015.
- Quark — Hit by a car at the feral colony on September 28, 2015. Buried near feeding station.
- Nova’s kittens Rain, Sunny, Storm, & Haze — When Nova brought all four six-week-old kittens to the feeding station in mid-October 2015, they were already pretty sick with anemia, parasites, and the various viruses that go around the colony. Rain was brought in first and spent the night in the bathroom at TinyKittens HQ, but she was too sick and died on October 19, 2015. Sunny and Haze were trapped and brought in shortly after Rain died but were also too sick to survive — Sunny died on October 23, 2015 and Haze died October 27, 2015 after some intense TLC from Kayla at LAPS. (Storm was never caught and is presumed to have passed on like his siblings as he never showed up at the station again after they were trapped.)
- Farkus — Came in from the colony with his brother on December 19, 2015. Both kittens were in bad shape; Farkus unfortunately passed away on December 22, 2015.
- Sable’s kitten Cindy Lou Mew — Died on March 13, 2016, a few days after birth.
- Trigg — Hit by a car at the feral colony on March 21, 2016. (Killed within a few days of Terek being killed.) Buried near feeding station.
- Terek — Hit by a car at the feral colony in March 2016. (Killed within a few days of Trigg being killed.) Buried near feeding station.
- Elkins — Unknown. (Hit by car? Only know his status because he’s listed as deceased on the TinyKittens site.)
- Alvin — One of the “Big Bang Theory” kittens brought in from the colony; he was too ill and passed away on June 25, 2016.
- Taurus — Hit by a car at the feral colony on July 9, 2016.
- Reese — Reese was trapped on July 9, 2016, and stayed at TKHQ while he recovered from an injured foot. He wasn’t happy indoors, though, and was returned to the colony on July 14, 2016. Several weeks later, Shelly found his body after he’d been hit by a car on a side road near the colony.
- Starling’s youngest kitten Dove — Stillborn on September 15, 2016.
- Cosmo — He was an older ginger kitten (about 4-to-5 months old), the first and only kitten seen seen at the Happy Forest colony this kitten season. He passed away on October 2, 2017. (Cause currently unknown, I presume hit by car or attacked by another animal as he was apparently pretty healthy and happy when seen the previous day)