≡ Menu

Recap: Sunday, January 31, 2016


Feral Colony Cats

ferals currently being socialized at/through LAPS as of 2016-01-29 - Tellar, Eaton, and Rio

  • Note: Tellar went home with Foster Mom Jules yesterday for a few days so that he can get used to being in a home environment. Eaton and Rio are still together at the shelter.
  • Jules had a Periscope session with him today, showcasing how at ease he is in a home environment — he’s not much a toy guy, but he seems to enjoy the comforts and affection of being in a home with humans.

Star Wars Litter

LAPS staff and volunteers have been very good about posting the videos of the various visits with Queen Amidala and the kittens to their Livestream page, so if you miss any visit, you can go to http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/starwars to watch them. (Note: It’s not always easy to tell what day a video is from — Livestream uses relative time, i.e. “xx days ago”, for posts and Zulu Time, which is currently eight hours ahead of PST, for comments — but they are in reverse chronological order on the page.)

  • Weight chart – All of the kittens, who turned eight weeks old this past Thursday, are now solidly over the spay/neuter minimum weights.
  • Today’s visits/videos on Livestream (in chronological order, titles from actual posts):


  • Sunny was surrendered by her owner.
    Sunny intake at LAPS 2016-01-31 Sunny intake at LAPS 2016-01-31
  • Her story is sad: She’s about 7 years old and had been in one home for a long time; her owner wasn’t doing well so she was re-homed a year ago. Since then she’s been peeing outside of the box — the person who’d taken her couldn’t afford to take her to the vet but had been trying different litters, to no avail. So she’d surrendered Sunny to LAPS. [Added on February 14: From Lneya’s Periscope on February 14, she’d originally been adopted through VOKRA, who has a policy of taking back any cat that has to be surrendered, but that wasn’t done in this case.]
  • Lneya said that Sunny’s urine is really dark orange. They’re going to take a urine sample for the vet. Her temperature was 40°C the first time it was checked, normal when it was re-checked. Lneya thinks she has a really bad UTI. (Lneya is currently dealing with that issue with her own cats.) She’s pooping in the litter box just fine, it’s just the peeing apparently. She’s going to need an ultrasound.
  • Sunny’s mouth also doesn’t look great — the gum line is red and she has tartar buildup in the back. She has a lot of flea dirt on her and is losing a lot of hair. (It was flying up and sticking to the outside of the crate and to Lneya.)
  • She’s big and firm and Lneya thinks maybe worms. She’s not up-to-date on her vaccines. Lneya gave her Revolution and vaccinations and cleaned her ears. Then deworming in two weeks.
  • She’s been spayed, though her tattoo is illegible.
  • She’s going to be going into one of the cat condos — Ginny (sp?) and Matilda are in isolation and Whiskey and Sambuca have some URI symptoms and so are in isolation, too.
  • You can view her intake video on the LAPS Livestream page at http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/LAPSlife/videos/111130548. A copy of it has also been uploaded to YouTube and is embedded below.

TinyKittens HQ:


  • Cassidy continues to be willful about not flexing his knees. Clicker training is going well.

People for Happier Cats/TNR site:

General Notes

The TinyKittens VIP cam gets swapped around periodically.  The feed (wherever it’s pointing at any given moment) can be accessed for a monthly or annual fee. (Consider it a way to donate to TinyKittens monthly, with the VIP cam feed as a perk.)

Feral Recovery Ward

Current residents:

ferals currently recuperating at TKHQ 2016-01-27 - Satine, Enara, and Tiger

  • The PCR tests for all three new feral guests of TKHQ were negative so no baths for them today. Tiger will be ready for adoption after he’s been neutered, which needs to wait until his URI clears up. And the two girls still need socialization. [Enara seems like she’d do really well with her own home and humans; Satine still seems a little on the fence about things.) Satine is now showing signs of a URI as well.
  • The Visits:
    • Lawana visited while Alicia and Gwen were still at TKHQ. (I don’t know if either of them visited the ferals — this was on the VIP feed and I may have missed event.) She brought more food and water and cleaned the litter boxes. Satine really responded to Lawana’s petting, as long as Satine could stay up on the shelf bed. Lawana also had some cuddles with Tiger and Enara; Enara actually climbed into Lawana’s lap at one point. Kimsies asked Lawana to try brushing Tiger’s teeth. He’s still really snarfly and not a fan of the toothbrush.
    • Shelly visited in the late evening. (She also gave a number of updates while in with the romper room kittens.)
      • Enara, Satine, and Tiger have all tested negative. It’ll take about 10 to 14 days for Tiger’s URI to clear up.
      • Satine is still not really social so they’re debating if she’s hit a plateau and maybe they should return her to the colony and continue working with her there. (She’s only really social on her shelf bed safe place.) She’s been there long enough and has been at this plateau long enough that they have to consider it.
      • Enara has made a lot of progress, more progress in less time than Satine. She lets people know when they’ve crossed a line, but she never bites or hurts anyone. (She’s somewhere between Tip and Sugar Plum on the spectrum.) She stays to herself a lot, which may make her easier to adopt out.
      • Tiger has been vaccinated, but he needs his URI to subside before he has his neuter surgery. Then he’ll be ready to be adopted.
      • Satine hissed at Shelly but still accepted pets. She’s sneezing now, too. URIs tend to flare up about 7 to 10 days after a stressor. (Shelly couldn’t really point to a stressor that fit for Satine, but 7 to 10 days ago was when Pansy, Raven, and Enara showed up in the room and Shiloh went back to the forest. Satine’s demeanor changed at that time, she got a lot more growly and hissy.)
      • Tiger is still snarfly, but his snot is clear. Cleaned his ears a bit.
      • Enara was intially under the Kuranda but eventually came out for pets.

Formerly-Feral Mega Romper Room

  • Today is all about ringworm baths. After the strange, inconclusive results of their combined PCR test, all six “formerly feral” kittens (Comet, Mistletoe, Jingle, and Nick up here in this room and Noelle and Elf downstairs) got more ringworm medications and baths.

    • Gwen arrived first (before 09:00) to prepare things. She grabbed Jingles as the first volunteer for a bath.
    • Kimsies arrived at around 09:25, followed by Alicia and then Lawana shortly after that. Shelly also popped in shortly before Lawana arrived. Kimsies went downstairs to take care of No-Elf downstairs (she was going to crate them while she thoroughly cleaned their room.) The plan is to release each bathed kitten into the other room, which was thoroughly scrubbed down when the kittens were moved after Noelle and Elf’s second positive result. [On the plus side, that room has one of the new window catios so Comet will be able to have his access to the outside without it being too difficult to get him inside again.]
    • Alicia grabbed Nick as the second bath volunteer, and later Lawana scooped up Mistletoe. Comet hung out with Lawana, waiting for his turn at bath while she cleaned the room and then snuggled with him. Alicia later came to take him to his destiny.
    • After their baths, they were moved into the other room (the purple room), so that the white room could be disinfected. Shelly installed a monitor on the wall in the room while it was empty so that snugglers could see the chat.
  • Other Visits:
    • Shelly stopped in late in the evening. She fixed the cam, put on the night lights, and put out more food. She gave some extended updates:
      • They’re doing more tests tomorrow. They’re going to be doing fungassays as well as PCRs. Fungusassay results take up to two weeks. Hopefully they’ll have the PCR results by Wednesday. Maybe in the future they’ll use a combination of the two tests, since they have different pros and cons.
      • Because of all this, Nick won’t be going home tomorrow. Joy had an individual PCR so Shelly isn’t concerned about her having gone home already. Jingle is still scheduled to go to his new home in Oregon on Saturday.
      • Comet has a little cyst on his neck. All four are going to the vet tomorrow to get their vaccines and fungassay samples and to have MT’s paw checked, Comet’s neck checked, and anything else that needs to be done.
      • She checked Nick’s lip — seems swollen. (I think it’s from when he fell when the shelf bed fell.)
      • Noelle and Elf are going great. They’ve both really come out, Elf especially has been coming out to greet the snugglers as they arrive and climbing into laps. Their results came back conclusively positive — bathing should remove any non-viable spores mechanically so it seems a genuine positive. They have no clinical symptoms, though. Shelly and the whole team are learning a lot from this.

Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):

Tiny Kittens Lawana helps out at TKHQ

Tiny Kittens Shellys late night visit and updates

[Page last updated: 2016/02/14 at 23:48 PST]

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment