Feral Colony Cats
- Socialization continues with these two male cats from the feral colony. No updates yet today
Star Wars Litter
LAPS staff and volunteers have been very good about posting the videos of the various visits with Queen Amidala and the kittens to their Livestream page, so if you miss any visit, you can go to http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/starwars to watch them. (Note: It’s not always easy to tell what day a video is from — Livestream uses relative time, i.e. “xx days ago”, for posts and Zulu Time, which is currently eight hours ahead of PST, for comments — but they are in reverse chronological order on the page.)
- Weight chart
- Today’s visits/videos on Livestream (in chronological order, titles from actual posts):
- No videos posted today.
Christmas Decoration Kittens
Alicia tries to broadcast a Periscope with the kittens every night at around 20:00 PST. Because Periscope videos are only viewable on/in Periscope for 24 hours, I record the videos and upload them to YouTube.
- Star, the tiniest and last of the Christmas Decoration kittens, is finally headed to her new forever home. Alicia had a couple of short Periscopes with her at LAPS this morning, one outside with Ribbon and Ribbon’s human and one inside LAPS where Star will stay until Katie, her new human, comes to pick her up. Alicia is now back on the list for another set of fosters, but that may take some time. (She also wants to do a major clean up of her kitten room since this litter had that minor infection.) In the meantime, follow her Periscope and Twitter accounts to get notifications whenever she has new kittens.
TinyKittens HQ is now all kitted out with catios. All of the kitten rooms — both of the downstairs feral rooms and both of the upstairs rooms — now have their own catios. John from Beautiful World Living Environments (who installed the original catio attached to the big feral room downstairs) was at TKHQ to install them today. The room the former ferals are in upstairs (the white room that Tip was originally in when she first came in, that Mary stayed in, and that became Holly’s singles pad) now has a catio that connects to the original catio and catwalk that is also attached to the big feral room downstairs. The other two rooms have self-contained window catios.
- Shelly did some clicker training with Cassidy today.
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
The TinyKittens VIP cam gets swapped around periodically. (Since the feral recovery room was implemented, it’s been mostly on the upstairs “formerly feral” romper room instead. However, today the cam was swapped again during Kimsies visit so that the romper room is now on regular feed and the feral room is back on VIP.) The feed (wherever it’s pointing at any given moment) can be accessed for a monthly or annual fee. (Consider it a way to donate to TinyKittens monthly, with the VIP cam feed as a perk.)
- Shelly posted a video of Reggie, Ramses, and Henrietta playing tag in the Happy Forest. They were not enjoying their recovery time at LAPS and it’s clear they’re much happier back in the colony.
Feral Recovery Ward
- The cats were very quiet overnight. (I kind of miss the days when Satine and Shiloh were here alone, because Satine used to play a lot around the room and enjoy herself at night.)
- The Visits:
- Suzanne visited just after noon. Lots of Satine pets on the ledge. Fresh food and water, cleaned the litter boxes. Tried to entice Satine to eat. Suzanne was surprised to see Comet through the window in the catio outside and had to go ask Shelly about it. (That would have surprised me for sure since it was put in after her upstairs visit.)
- Gwen and Shelly visited shortly after Suzanne left. They took PCR samples from all three. Lots of lap cuddles for Enara and Tiger. Shelly cleaned Tiger’s ears again and tried to brush his teeth. That seems to have made his mouth a bit sore as he started growling at that point. Between them they tried to encourage Comet back upstairs, with no luck.
- Kimsies was in and out trying to help lure Comet back upstairs (see “catio adventure” section below), but she came back later for a proper visit with the ferasl. She doled out lots of pets and snuggles — she tried to pull Satine into her lap for a cuddle but lost her grip as she was sitting down and that was the end of that attempt; but Satine let her pet her on the ledge. Kimsies put new velcro tape on the shelf bed and reattached it to the ledge. It seems much straighter and sturdier so hopefully it won’t fall again. She also started to assemble the new Kuranda tower. (I think she was hoping to add to the existing tower rather than building a separate new tower.) However, she didn’t have a wrench so she put everything aside for another day.
Formerly-Feral Mega Romper Room
- The Visits:
- Suzanne visited in the late morning. She picked up the downed cam. She also did the usual cleaning and replenishing of food and water. Then she had an extended play/cuddle session with all of the kittens.
- Gwen popped in briefly to give Nick his meds.
- Gwen brought John, the catio guy, into the room to remove the window screen. She then took samples for PCR tests while John was outside installing the new catio. Jingle was fascinated by this man (he’s really only been around female humans) when he first came in. When John came back in to finish the installation, Jingle supervised the work. The guy tried to play with Jingle afterwards, but Jingle wasn’t having anything to do with him at that point — he didn’t even try to rush the door to escape.
- The Great Catio Adventure: Shelly opened up the window when she came in after the catio installation was complete. Of all the kittens in this room, only Comet showed any interest whatsoever in going out to explore the catio. Everyone else scurried right back in after being placed outside. Not our Comet, though. He went out and stayed out once Shelly opened the window for them. Once that happened, the visits to this room sort of started to blur together as Shelly, Gwen, and then Kimsies when she arrived for her visits made multiple attempts (together and separately) — from upstairs, from the feral room window, from outside — to get him to go back up from the bottom of the downstairs catio into the room upstairs. Ultimately, Shelly got him back up to the window from outside a couple of hours after he went outside. (Judging by the banging you could hear and earlier conversations, I think she was using the multi-pronged divider from the Tomahawk trap to block off his ability to go backwards and “encourage” him to move up.) Then she snuck up on him in the upstairs window before he could head back down again.
Kimsies’ videos and pictures at TKHQ:
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Shelly & Gwen visit feral room
Tiny Kittens Suzanne visits feral room
Tiny Kittens Kimsie visits Jingle & Co
Tiny Kittens Shellys late night visit
[Page last updated: 2016/02/07 at 06:00 PST]