Note: Page is still being updated.
- Satine, Shiloh, and Henrietta had their spay surgeries and Tellar, Caden, Ramses, and Reggie had their neuter surgeries today. Tellar and Caden got the worst marks at the vet for behaviour, for being the most difficult to handle. (Couldn’t be much worse than my cat was — his vet called him the most fractious cat she’d ever encountered. And he was not a feral. Some cats are just not happy at the vet’s.)
- The decision has been made to try keeping all seven of them together in a communal room at LAPS and see how they do, rather than returning them to the Happy Forest. In her afternoon update at TKHQ just after she’d returned home from LAPS, Shelly said that the first three cats (Shiloh, Caden, and Reggie) had been put into the room while she was there and were playing well. (They had been pretty easy to handle — they were blacklighted, nails trimmed, and all the rest of the usual intake stuff done with no aggression from them.) LAPS will continue with the other four. Hopefully no one fluoresces — anyone with ringworm would unfortunately have to be returned to the colony right away.
Star Wars Litter
LAPS staff and volunteers have been very good about posting the videos of the various visits with Queen Amidala and the kittens to their Livestream page, so if you miss any visit, you can go to http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/starwars to watch them. (Note: It’s not always easy to tell what day a video is from — Livestream uses relative time, i.e. “xx days ago”, for posts and Zulu Time, which is currently eight hours ahead of PST, for comments — but they are in reverse chronological order on the page.)
- Weight chart
- The kittens are six weeks old today. LAPS posted some very cute pictures of them.
- Today’s visits/videos on Livestream (in chronological order, titles from actual posts):
Christmas Decoration Kittens
Alicia tries to broadcast a Periscope with the kittens every night at around 20:00 PST. Because Periscope videos are only viewable on/in Periscope for 24 hours, I record the videos and upload them to YouTube.
- Glimmer, Tinsel, and Bow went to Yorkson Creek Veterinary Hospital for their spays/neuter and completely won over the staff there. Alicia will be bringing them back to her place tonight.
- Alicia had her nightly Periscope with the kittens. This is the last one that will feature all of the kittens, as she’s taking Glimmer, Tinsel, and Bow in to LAPS in the morning to go to their forever homes. (She said she’ll try to do a quick Periscope from LAPS, time and phone permitting.)
Whiskey and Sambuca
- Whiskey and Sambuca are still looking for their forever home (or homes). They’ve been at LAPS for 79 days. LAPS dressed them up today in honour of National Dress Up Your Pet Day (who even knew that was a thing) and they both put up with it like champs. They are such sweet boys — I wish they were still on cam.
- Gwen took a urine sample that Shelly had gotten from Cassidy in to be tested prior to his and Shelly’s trip to NC at the end of the month.
- Shelly continues to splint his stumps and do as much physio with him as she can. Cassidy, for his part, continues to be a kitten who doesn’t want to do physio.
- Cassidy and his entourage will be heading to North Carolina on Sunday, January 24, to visit with Dr. Marcellin-Little in person.
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
Formerly-Feral Mega Romper Room
- Holly is still pretty growly and hissy. She seems to be moving a little gingerly so I’m thinking her growling is part anxiety over the new additions to the room (i.e. Jingle, Nicholas, Elf, and Noelle) and part that she feels yucky still from the spay. (When they were all downstairs and Mistletoe and then Joy were introduced to the room with Holly and Comet, Holly was as growly as she is now, partly from the interlopers/change and partly from the fact that her paws were still pretty bad and hurting her.) She actually had a fight with Jingle shortly after Lawana left the room — Jingle being the persistent little bugger he is, triggering Holly to make an aggressive attempt to get him to leave her alone. But by the time Shelly came in for her second visit, Holly was having longer periods of non-growling time (even Jingle coming right over to her didn’t initially make her growl).
- The Visits:
- Shelly visited in the morning
- Lawana visited in the afternoon.
- Shelly visited again at around 17:30, after returning from LAPS.
- Shelly also visited again in the evening, primarily to take pictures. She decided to separate out Holly (and Joy for company) into a separate room since being in the communal room was making Holly extra growly and her growling and hissing was setting the others on edge and changing the vibe of the room. Everyone seems much more relaxed after that, even Holly who could be heard playing with Joy in the next room overnight.
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Shellys morning visit
Tiny Kittens Shellys visit
Tiny Kittens Lawana visits and kitty hissy and fighting towards end
Tiny Kittens Shelly visits and puts Holly & Joy in another room for now
[Page last updated: 2016/01/15 at 08:16 PST]