- Shelly and Kimsies were at the feral colony today, trapping more cats for TNR. (Lorie N was also there, helping to transport the cats.) The final tally was three girls (Satine, Shiloh, and Henrietta) and four boys (Tellar, Caden, Ramses, and Reggie), mostly young, newer arrivals at the feeding station.
- The cats were brought to LAPS, where Kayla and Lneya did (necessarily brief) intakes on them before they were placed in the heated garage overnight — they’ll be headed for their spay/neuter surgeries tomorrow, and Shelly will be returning them to the Happy Forest afterwards. (The intake video can be watched on LAPS’ A Day in the Life at LAPS Livestream channel at http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/LAPSlife/videos/109301021.)
- During the feral cat intake video, Kayla, Lneya, and Jayne gave updates on Beetlejuice, Spice, and Ralphie.
- Beetlejuice had his left eye removed. He’s doing well, and is very friendly.
- Spice purrs up a storm once you pick her up and loves her ringworm baths. She’s rooming with Beetlejuice.
- Ralphie got his first negative PCR today. They’ve waiting on a second negative result before he can be neutered and have the abcess on his back drained. (They’re also waiting to hear back about Beetlejuice’s and Spice’s PCRs.)
Star Wars Litter
LAPS staff and volunteers have been very good about posting the videos of the various visits with Queen Amidala and the kittens to their Livestream page, so if you miss any visit, you can go to http://livestream.com/accounts/14083503/starwars to watch them. (Note: It’s not always easy to tell what day a video is from — Livestream uses relative time, i.e. “xx days ago”, for posts and Zulu Time, which is currently eight hours ahead of PST, for comments — but they are in reverse chronological order on the page.)
- Weight chart
- Today’s visits/videos on Livestream (in chronological order, titles from actual posts):
- There were no videos posted on Livestream today.
Christmas Decoration Kittens
Alicia tries to broadcast a Periscope with the kittens every night at around 20:00 PST. Because Periscope videos are only viewable on/in Periscope for 24 hours, I record the videos and upload them to YouTube.
- Alicia had her nightly Periscope session with the kittens tonight. Glimmer weighs 1174 grams (up from 1154), Star weighs 863 grams (up from 850), Ribbon weighs 1052 grams (up from 1044), Tinsel weighs 1263 grams (up from 1236) and Bow weighs 1333 grams (up from 1322). Glimmer, Tinsel, and Bow go in for their spays/neuter tomorrow. Alicia will be bringing them back home afterwards so tomorrow night’s Periscope will be the last one with all five kittens. (Bow is being adopted by Leslie and Star is being adopted by Katie, both of whom were in chat on Periscope tonight. I believe Alicia said that all of the adopters were/are Periscope watchers, which is much different from the CallaLily litter where none of the adopters were viewers.)
- Cedric had his surgery yesterday to amputate his injured leg.
He’s back with foster mom Daniela now and doing well. ❤️
- Mary went home today at around 5PM PST. She *did* get a tiny suitcase to take home with her but due to a power outage at TKQH and time constraints, the packing of that suitcase was not broadcast on Livestream.
- Mary’s new human (who is the woman who made/makes the kittens’ graduation caps) posted an update on Mary’s Facebook page that Mary has made herself right at home. ❤️
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
Holly and Joy
- Holly and Joy had their spay surgeries at Mountain View today and are back at TKHQ recovering well and sleeping off the after effects.
- Joy’s mouth was x-rayed to see if her adult upper canines are lurking behind the baby canines she still has. It turns out that what were thought to be baby canines are actually Joy’s adult teeth; they’re just smaller than expected.
- Joy is FeLV/FIV negative. (Holly was tested — and was negative — when she initially came in weeks ago.)
- Holly’s left front paw was x-rayed. They discovered that her third digit had been broken — crushed — at some point but had healed over. That *was* a bone fragment that Shelly had taken out of the open wound recently. She got another injection of antibiotics.
- Holly is very growly and grumbly after her surgery (and after the introduction of the little kittens), much like she was when her paws were still healing and Mistletoe and Joy arrived at TKHQ.
- Joy has some congestion in her nose that is causing her to be intermittently snarfly, like Nicholas was a couple of weeks ago. Shelly sent a video of it to Dr. Ferguson, just to make sure there isn’t anything else she should be doing for Joy. (The snarfling sounds bad, but it’s not in her lungs; picture it like a human head cold, where you’re all miserable and snotty.)
- Shelly got into trouble from Dr. Ferguson 😉 — the girls are pudgy; Holly’s big belly is the result of “layers and layers of fat” (the bloated, parasite-ridden bellies they had when they came in have given way to extraordinarily well fed bellies) so now Shelly has to consider dietary and exercise changes for them. (They no longer really need the calorie-dense food they were getting to combat their original less-than-ideal physical states.)
Formerly-Feral Mega Romper Room
- Holly’s growling and hissing aside, everyone is still doing really great in the combined TKHQ “colony”. The cats/kittens that were shy are growing more and more confident with the humans around, which is lovely to see.
- They’ve gotten a few single applications in but no pairs applications so far, other than the accepted one for Mistletoe and Comet.
- Jingle, Elf, Nicholas, and Noelle will be heading in for their spays/neuters on January 25/26.
- The Visits:
- Suzanne visited. (Because of the power outage, I don’t know who else might have visited; I only know Suzanne did because Little Darling caught the video for it.)
- Gwen visited very briefly just after the regular cam came back up.
- Shelly visited very briefly before Mary’s new human came her, then she came back for a longer visit after Mary left for her new forever home.
- Shelly also visited at around 9PM.
Kimsies’ videos and pictures from the feral colony
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Suzanne visits
Tiny Kittens Shellys visit after Mary goes home
Tiny Kittens Shellys late night visit
[Page last updated: 2016/01/14 at 06:16 PST]