- A stray black kitten, named Frodo, was dumped unceremoniously at LAPS today. Dr. Wakeling was arriving onsite (with her vet tech class from Douglas College) around that time; she examined him and prescribed some medications and tests. (Information updated on October 16, after I had a chance to watch his intake video.)
- He has hair loss around his toes, back, ears, eyes, gum line. Based on the condition and location of the bald patches, Dr. Wakeling suspects it is indeed ringworm, even though nothing fluoresced under black light. A PCR test was done; the results will hopefully be back in a couple of days.
- He has a live flea infestation, and probably worms and other parasites as well. He was given Revolution and Capstar.
- His SNAP test (for FeLV and FIV) was negative for both diseases.
- His mouth was very smelly. On inspection, a tooth fell out, uncovering a black hole in his jaw. Dr. Wakeling cleaned out the abscess with a q-tip. It’s been infected for awhile, the bone under the hole is swollen as are his lymph nodes, so she suspects osteomyelitis, a bone infection. She prescribed an antibiotic (Clindamycin, I believe) and a pain killer (Metacam) for the mouth infection.
- His ears were really dirty, but there is no evidence of ear mites visually or under microscope.
- He has a grade 2 heart murmur.
- They took some blood for blood work.
- Dr. Wakeling estimates that he’s about 5.5 months old because the tips of his adult canines are showing, but he still has his baby canines. He weighs 1.84 kg, or about 4 pounds. She named him Frodo — “something heroic”, plus she was in an “F” frame of mind today. 😉
- INTAKE VIDEO: You can watch his intake video either on the Day in the Life at LAPS Livestream page, or I’ve recorded and uploaded the intake video to YouTube (I recorded it as three videos, so the embedded video below is actually a three-video playlist):
- Rose’s kittens first post-ringworm-protocol PCR test was negative. They now need to wait a week to test again and hopefully the next test will also be negative and the kittens can be spayed/neutered and adopted out to loving forever homes.
- Alicia had her daily Periscope session (a nice long one) with Calla and the kittens tonight.
- Sweetling Purdy is staying with Foster Mom Jules until Sunday.
- The Starbuck’s litter kittens — Java, Cappuccino, Latte, and Macchiato — will be available for adoption on Wednesday, October 21.
- No updates yet today
People for Happier Cats/TNR site:
- Shelly and Kimsies worked hard to prepare the downstairs portion of TKHQ for Torelius (aka Mr. T) and Pinecone. If all goes well, they should be arriving at the TKHQ Home for Lost Boys next Wednesday, October 21, after first getting a ringworm bath at LAPS. (That should be fun. Hope it gets filmed.) The hope is that they will adjust well to being inside (with lots of daily attention and companionship from Kimsies, Shelly, and the other TNR team members). ❤️
Today’s video caps courtesy of Sara (Little Darling):
Tiny Kittens Shellys morning visit with Cassidy making splints and putting them on
Tiny Kittens Cassidys little leaping landings
[Page last updated: 2015/10/16 at 22:53 PDT]